Sunday, March 14, 2010

Shamrock Run update

So today was the race. I finished....

I got up this morning at 6am but it was REALLY 5am. Oh well I got ready and headed out. My wife and kids were going to come along but the 6 month old had a rough night so they all stayed home. I got on the road to head to downtown portland. I didn't pick up my bib yesterday. So after I parked I started following the many people who were going to partake in the events. I asked a couple of people where they were giving the bibs out at. Both people had know idea. I started to get nervous as people were running to the start, I was thinking I was going to miss my race. I finally found the tent where they had the bibs, first thing I noticed was it was Packed. There were over 20,000 people participating in todays events.

So I got my bib and timing chip and then got in line to get my shirt. I ended up not keeping my shirt because I didn't have anywhere to put it. And I didn't want to run with it. oh well.

Also the guy on the microphone mentioned that it was 37 degrees!! But I was pretty warm, I had a long sleeve dry fit shirt on under my shirt. the 15k'ers started at 8:40.

I lined up in the 9 - 10 min pace area. This is about where I was running when I was traning. And as you noticed I haven't ran much latley since I have had no posts. We were off for our first mile. It started in downtown portland. The first mile came up fast. Then from mile 2 through 6 it was ALL UP HILL! I'm not joking. I kept saying to myself ok this has to start going down hill now. But just more hills kept showing up. It was crazy. I kept on going, I told myself I wasn't going to walk. At about mile 3 or a little after I noticed something coming up to my left it was a wheel from a guy pushing his kid in the stroller. But it was right next to my feet and I started to lose my balance. I was very close to falling on top of the kid and the stroller but some how I regained my balance. The guy looked at me and said "sorry". I was blasting my music in my mp3 player so I'm sure that made me less aware. So the next 3 miles to mile 6 were tough. I was going pretty darn slow. By the time I hit 6 i heard a guy say "the hard work is over". So right after that it was down hill and pretty much flat. Mile 6 went by pretty fast. I tried to tell myself that at mile 7 I was going to pick up the speed, but I just didn't have a lot of energy at that point. But I didn't walk. I saw this guy who was near me. By appearance you would never think this guy would be able to finish a 15k. He was rather large. I was trying to stay ahead of him. But after my mp3 player fell to the ground I just couldn't catch him or pass him. The last mile was rough, I felt like I was barely moving. After I finally crossed the finish line I wanted to get some free chowder and something the drink. There were so many people. We were all bumping each other. I finally got my free Chowder and it was great. After that since I was by myself I decided to take off. I was sooo tired. I was walking to my car and my hands were hurting. They were so swollen, I think it was lack of fluids. I finally got to my car and headed home. I had a great time. I will definitely do this race again. I finished in 1 hour 42 minutes. Turns out I averaged 11 min miles.

thanks for reading,
Chuck

2 comments:

  1. Good job Chuck! You did something that 99% of the American public would not even think about doing let alone attempt. Be proud and get ready for the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Chuck... loved reading your race report. Going uphill all that time would definitely take some energy. Too bad about the shirt.

    ReplyDelete